Polls
Statistics
Visitors: 720586
 
Home arrow News arrow Lasallian Alumni in Malaysia arrow St. Anthony's School , Teluk Intan
 
St. Anthony's School , Teluk Intan Print E-mail
The early years...

The St. Anthony's School had its humble beginnings way back in 1932, in a wooden shack adjoining the St Anthony's Catholic Church. The founder of this humble cradle of learning was a zealous French missionary priest, Father Bonamy. The School was named after St. Anthony of Padua, Italy - one of the most revered saints of the Catholics - greatly admired for his charitable work for the poor and for his love of children. St. Anthony is regarded as the most eloquent practitioners of 'CARITAS NON FICTA', the school motto.

In March 1936, Rev Father John Edmond succeeded Father Bonamy as Parish Priest and Headmaster of St. Anthony's, Telok Anson. Young and dashing, Father Edmond worked with boundless energy and managed to secure the land across the road from the Church. On this piece of land was built the first six classrooms in one block. The main block was opened on 27 January 1941 by British Resident, the Hon. Mr Marcus Rex, CMG.

In 1943 with the outbreak of World War II, the Japanese Imperial Army closed St. Anthony's School and made it a camp for hundreds of its soldiers. It was to remain that way till 1945 when the Japanese surrendered and Malaya came under the British Millitary Administration.

In the face of severe financial and manpower problems, Rev. Father Edmond strove to reopen the School. During this time, Father Edmond learned of the visit to Malaya of Bro. Lawrance O'Toole, Assistant Superior-General of the La Sallian Order in Rome. Father Edmond met Bro. Lawrance in Penang and urged him to send the La Sallian Brothers to manage and guide St. Anthony's. Thus began a bold new chapter in the history of St. Anthony's.

The early La Sallian years were tended by Rev. Bro. Finan Owen (1947-1949), Rev. Bro. Mathias Patrick (1949-1950) and Rev. Bro. Henry (1950-1955).

From 1956 to 1960 the School came under the care of Rev. Bro. Denis Hyland, the former director of St. Michael's Institution, Ipoh. During his tenure, St. Anthony's grew in size and stature to become the most highly accredited English medium school in Lower Perak. Rev. Bro. Denis was instrumental in acquiring for the School, a 2-acre piece of land at the junction of Anderson Road and Jalan Syed Abu Bakar, which became our School field.

In 1962, Rev. Bro. Alban D'Rozario was appointed Director. He was Director of St. Patrick's Institution Singapore prior to his arrival at St. Anthony's. Remembered as a disciplinarian, Rev.Bro. Alban was responsible for building the School basketball court and acquiring a 3-acre site along Jalan Sungei Nibong for the relocation of our Primary School.

Perhaps the most fondly remembered of all our directors, Rev. Bro. Damian Oliver assumed stewardship of St. Anthony's in 1965. A Cambridge educated biologist, Rev. Bro. Damian took St. Anthony's to new heights. The School emerged to be one of Malaysia's outstanding schools particularly in the sciences and in English language studies. Rev.Bro. Damian established the St. Anthony's Sixth Form Centre, updated the School Library and laboratories. The crowning of his career was the completion of the new School Hall which today bears his name.

Rev. Bro. Damian left St. Anthony's on July 1, 1975 after 13 glorious years to take up directorship of St. George's Institution, Taiping.

< Prev   Next >
 
Links | Contact Us | News | Home
 
 
Powered by Three Sixty Technologies